Of course, her version wasn't necessarily gluten-free or whole-food friendly, so I had some adapting to do. For the original recipe click here.
Here's my adapted version of Banana Split Baked Oatmeal:
- 3 bananas, sliced
- 16 oz strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats (not instant oatmeal)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup honey, plus some for drizzling on the top
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoong salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: Plain yogurt or whipped cream (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 11x7 inch pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with sliced bananas.
- Layer the sliced strawberries over the bananas.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Layer the mixture evenly over the strawberries.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg, melted butter, honey and vanilla. Pour evenly over the oats.
- Drizzle a bit more honey over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the oatmeal has set.
- Serve hot. If desired, top with a dollop of plain yogurt or homemade whipped cream.
16 oz whipping cream
2 tbs. vanilla extract
Note: people usually use sugar with this recipe, but since we aren't using sugar I omit it and add more vanilla for taste.
I enlisted the help of some little hands for mixing. We don't normally do this on the *ahem* floor, but our chicken incubator is taking up the outlet on the counter, and I didn't want to run the stand mixer on the floor. Sooo... helpers.